The Madiran country sits astride three modern-day departments and belongs as much to Aquitaine as to Gascony. The fertile valleys produce maize, sunflowers, kiwis and vines and the wooded ridges are replete with birds of prey, wild boar and deer. The local town has everyday amenities while Pau, Bordeaux and Toulouse are major centres for commerce and culture. The Atlantic coast, Biarritz, the Pyrenees and Spain are all within easy reach.
Local shopping 6kms. Airports: Pau airport 46kms, Biarritz 160kms, Bordeaux 195kms, Toulouse 220kms
Built in honey-coloured stone and rising majestically from the flank of a hill, the chateau has a rare, almost fairy-tale quality.
In the 18C, d’Artagnan’s uncle enlarged the property and legend has it he often entertained the illustrious musketeer.
In March 1814, Wellington is reputed to have stayed at the chateau while advancing towards Toulouse.
Saved from virtual ruin in the 1970s, the property has been entirely refurbished in recent years and its manageable proportions are ideal for present-day living. The main accommodation rises over three floors accessed by a superb spiral staircase and a south tower provides further entertaining space and wine storage.
An immense, elevated terrace overlooks the swimming pool and gardens and the outbuildings include a first floor office/events room, with garaging and car port below. The Maison d’Amis is suitable for family, letting or resident staff.
The majority of the outlying estate is wooded, with many delightful pathways and the meadows are rich in wild flowers including a dozen varieties of orchids.
A handsome newly refurbished stone building comprising two floors.
Former winery (56 sqm) storage area (53 sqm), spiral steel stair to upper level.
First floor office/events room with exposed timber ceiling and oak boarded floor, built-in storage cupboards, telephone sockets, internet access.
Car port, (60 sqm), built in massive oak with space for several vehicles.
Heated pool, 12 x 5 metres, with sand-coloured liner, natural stone surround, salt water/electrolysis treatment system and electric in-pool cover.
Dated 1572, a circular stone and tile honeycombed construction culminating in a brick-built lantern.
Currently houses pool controls, changing room &WC. Listed Monument Historique.
About 14 hectares in all. The estate has the château at its hub, standing on a central knoll and approached via entrance pillars and gates. 24 stone steps rise to the main entrance and courtyard.
The parkland features many fine centenarian trees including cedar, sycamore, umbrella pine and evergreen oaks. The woodland is principally oak, ash, acacia and plane and the glades are noted for their wild flowers and rare species of orchids. In a shaded valley are a series of fenced paddocks with three Cheval Liberte loose boxes, tack room and washing area.